Thursday, June 15, 2006

World Cup report

What can I say about the FIFA World Cup? This may sound horribly unpatriotic of me, but as much as I cheered and smiled when my country won, I can't seem to make myself really, really, REALLY support them. When I watch them play and then compare them to a silky team like Brazil or Spain...I can't help but hope that we're not the team who gets killed 8-0, because you know there's a team who is killed every tournament.

I also hate the way the games dont start here until 11:30pm - it means I feel like !@$#% when i crawl into the lab after only a few hours sleep.

What else do I hate about it? Well, I hate how tense watching the games make me. I mean, on one hand its good because I'm really into it! But I also
hate it because they stress me out bigtime. Watching England v. Paraguay with my Mum...every approach, every missed shot, it was like being stabbed with swords of frustration and fear!

Good things about the World Cup! Well, apart from the fact the men are hot (although some of them tend to be quite ugly - e.g. Ronaldinho, Wayne Rooney), I love the outpouring of manlove in their post goal/match celebrations such as in the photo below:There's nothing quite like playing *stacks on* to show enthusiasm, something the Italians have in abundance. And the Dutch as well - such a romantic embrace...

And of course, I find a lot of amusement in the antics of the fans. All that make up, costumes etc...but what I really enjoy are the chants! Hundreds of ppl chanting the same thing simultaneously. They're often quite funny in a biting way that can double as social commentary! Like the way the Australians chanted *You only sing when you're whaling* to the Japanese after their 3-1 win. Hilarious!

So that's my round-up for now. So much sport this year....

No comments: