Thursday, January 31, 2008

Conference days in Hobart town part 1 - Work

There's not really much I can say about the actual things that I listened to and presented at the conference.
  1. I attended ALL the plenary lectures. I don't know if any of you realise how much of an effort that is on my part. Attending lectures voluntarily at 9am, going to things I know I won't understand or am not interested in...truly...maybe I'm no longer as geeky as I once were.
  2. I was a bit startled to find the president-elect of the society asking me questions about my poster presentation. Needless to say, I don't think I impressed him very much, dammit.
  3. Good looks don't make up for a boring lecture. Or at least they didn't until I had a few drinks into me and then I got to have a nice close look at one of the speakers whose lecture Pooky swore we had to attend. I nearly killed her out of boredom, it was that bad. He was nice looking, in a suave older man kinda way. And he'd look even better if he styled it better.
  4. If I ever had doubts before, they have been swept away - SCIENTISTS ARE ALCOHOLICS. Four official conference days, four nights of free-flowing alcohol. Many hangovers the next morning at the plenary.
  5. A conference will always be judged by the food served. I don't think anyone was impressed by the lunch showbags or the meagre morning and afternoon teas.
Next entry: my thoughts on the social activities of the conference!

No comments: