Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hobart day 1 & 2

Well people, in the space of less than a week I went majorly AWOL again. This time, the reason was a conference in Hobart. I didn't bring my camera (or ipod, dammit) so you need to take my word for some of it.

After a turbulent Friday night which won't be chronicled here, I got to the airport after about three hours' sleep. When we got to our booked accommodation...I swear to god, I have never met such rude staff. They tried to fobb us off with a booking for four people - it had been changed to three people and then they tried to charge us a higher rate even though I had it written down what the charge for three was supposed to be. I camethisclose to saying *!@#$ you, we're moving somewhere else.* When I saw the room, I really wished I had said it.

I don't know about you guys, but when I say three beds, I expect three BEDS. I don't want to see couches dressed up as beds. And the place seemed pretty dirty to me too. But the others wanted to stick with the cheap so I grudgingly relented.

BUT THEN POOKY SAVED ME WITH HER OFFER OF ALLOWING ME TO STAY IN HER ROOM IN THE CONFERENCE CENTRE WITH IT'S LOVELY HARBOUR VIEWS!!!

So I went over and for the second time in a week we bitched to each other in person and I managed to get some sleep.

The next day we decided to explore the city and do some shopping. Now, Miss Pooky is from a big city. She has been bred by people who are from big cities. And when I say big cities, I mean her dad thinks that Sydney is small and not crowded. Miss Pooky could not get over the small size of Hobart. She was horrified by the amount of roadkill she passed on the way from the airport to the *city*, and that despite spending the whole day wandering around the place, she only managed to see seven asian people - including ourselves.

Later we decided we should go to a supermarket to purchase foodstuffs and other assorted items. Seeing as we weren't local, we decided the best way to do that was to purchase something else...say, a book, and then ask the proprietor for the nearest located store. Our logic was that having bought something from them, they'd have no reason to lie to us. Well they even had to think about it and then directed us to a Woolworths. I walked doggedly up the street, certain that it would be just over the next hill while Pooky swore while she watched the streets become more and more deserted that if she didn't know me so well, she'd think I was trying to lure her somewhere in anticipation of some murder-fest. We found it eventually, and it was probably only a 10-15 minute walk...but we still purchased enough so that we wouldn't have to return. From then on, I did tell people where it was but warned them that it was FAR. And I was always gratified to hear when people agreed it was far.

Later in the week though, both me and Pooky shouted *WHAT?!?!?* when PeteKoz told us that there's a foodstore in Salamanca Place. It was truly devastating. Okay, it wasn't a supermarket but...still....

No comments: