Saturday, January 05, 2008

GLORIOUS gigabytes!

For pretty much all of 2007, I have been neglecting my desktop in favour of my laptop (Toshi). Not because of the convenience of being able to do my net stuff in front of the tv (although that is pretty nifty), but because the volume of data being analysed was large and some of the programs I use for analysis weren't on the desktop. Sometimes I'd think I'd do something at home only to find I'd left the files on the laptop or I'd brought the right stuff home only to realise that they're still in their raw format. Annoying!

But you know, carrying the Toshi around all the time gets annoyi
ng. When it rains (as it did torrentially a fortnight ago) I'm always terrified that it'll get wet and destroyed. It also hinders my ability to go straight from the gym to the bus stop. But the real problem is that since my study is generally photography-based, I was creating massively huge files and was losing the ability to back them up because my DVD-burner was suffering from lack of free mem to work properly.

This is where Smee comes into the picture. Smee advocated getting a mini-HDD ages ago but I declined due to the expense and not thinking I'd wreck my toshi volume so quickly. Long story short, he did some investigating and found me an absolutely bee-yoo-tiful mini one that I've now christened *Glowy* for reasons that will become apparent.

The box.

Yes, it is choc-full of glorious gigabytes!!!

Oh hello to you too!

Glowy poses outside of the box

Glowy singing a happy working song and glowing along as it works.

Since there I'm sure the two of us will have a wonderful working relationship!

No comments: