Tuesday, January 22, 2008

For Pooey-ooey!

This entry is dedicated to Pooey who has been languishing in London where, despite being one of the world's indisputable *Alpha* cities, there is apparently a dearth of good Japanese and Korean restaurants. As much as it annoys me to say that anything about Sydney is better than Melbourne ...*sigh*... Jap and Korean food in Sydney is better than that found in Melbourne.

ARRRRGHHH!!!! BUT MALAYSIAN FOOD AND
THE BAR SCENE IS BETTER IN MELBOURNE!

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, here are some o
f mine and Pooey's favourite places to eat jap and kor in Sydney.

Menya (8 Quay St., Haymarket - Chinatown) is Pooey's fav ramen shop. The first time Pooey and I went here, it was something like 40 degrees cel
sius and we still had soupy noodles! Giant bowls of squishy ramen in tonkotsu-based soup...and it's super-duper cheap! I had a bowl of tori katsu ramen with a side of corn (for extra fibre) for $10.40. And I always end up rolling out of the restaurant.
The menu board.

My tasty tasty ramen...and with the corn.

Sushi train...what can I say about sushi train? All plates are $3 (it used to be $2.50!) except for the special ones - usually stuff like sashimi. But you can get all the raw salmon/kingfish/squid/takoyaki etc. that you want from the other plates if you keep an eye out and snatch the plates before your fellow diners steal it. There are a few of these around Sydney but the one I always seem to go to is near the corner of Bathurst and George St.

I didn't take any photos here because Miss Pooky thought it would be cruel of me to tease Pooey with succulent pictures of raw scallops.

What I consider undoubtedly the best Korean restaurant in Sydney is Seoul Ria on the corner of Goulbourn and George St. I'm not the only one who thinks it's good - pretty much everyone I know who's been in Sydney for an extended time knows about it and if you're still not convinced, do a google search and you'll find many other people agree with me! I alway
s have the seafood pancake and the chili deep fried chicken or prawns. I couldn't have bulgogi this time around but that's usually something on the automatic-order list too!

Unforch I was too busy stuffing my face to take pictures here so here's the outside.

And the awesomely dodge elevator you need to take to get to Seoul-Ria.

This is not something that's particularly awesome but they're everywhere in Sydney and nowhere in London - bubble tea!
Well Pooey, I hope this makes you think of what you want but can't have!

2 comments:

Pooey said...

fanks moo, it makes me cry to know that you paid £4.70 for your ramen when my starbucks coffee costs about £2.50

KH said...

OMG Menya is so awesome. I remember working in Sydney and I would go there every week. Even though I could've spent my expenses at really overpriced and expensive restaurants you can't really beat those ramen. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM