Thursday, July 17, 2008

Even more food

It's been a shocker of a busy week :( Probably because I've been out eating/partying so much! So French-ish dinner on Sunday was followed up by French dinner on Tuesday...followed up by French dinner on Wednesday. Lydia decided that since it was Bastille Day on Monday, we should go to Aux Batifolles for dinner on Wednesday - our logic was that it would be easier to get a table on Wed. So we two, Laulita, Veruschka, Mischka, Punz, and The Pom (aka The Token Male) popped on down.

Since I've already written about food twice this week, I've recruited a guest reviewer du jour - Mischka.

I am advised by google that Aux Batifolles could mean ,“To Frolic”. This tentative translation provides some clues as to the experience to be had at this charming establishment. On a dark, wearisome Melbourne winter night, there is nothing half so welcoming as a warmly lit, earthy looking French Bistro which is not pokey at all, but not too “modded up”. (I think I’m trying to say that the atmosphere was “just right”).

It was a quiet night, so we got very good service from a properly attired French man who was happy to have people practise their French on him. (French language that is). Another happy finding was the bathroom which whilst rather pokey, more than made up for it in being rather like a sauna-always a nice sensation when you have to walk outside into the requisite French smoking area to visit the Ladies.

Get to the food I hear you say. Okay. No complaints on any level from my end, nor did I hear a whisper of dissatisfaction from the dining attendees. Everything arrived on time, perfect service and table set-up excellent. I had a seafood crepe for entrée (YUMMMMMMMY) and a beef Bourgignon for the main event (SCRUMMMMYYY). Astonishly, I did not make it to dessert-quite the rarity. So, I hope this gives you some indication of the portions (generous for French). My companions had (from what I can remember): pork with black lentils, a chicken and lobster pie, Canard pate, duck confit (I would like to go back and try it to compare to the Parisian duck confit).

Desserts looks brilliant, and more importantly, the generous portions were still with us at this stage. Most people had the apple tart (it looked REALLY, REALLY GOOD), but the crème brulee is well known among foodies (apparently)- it looked great.

One last thing, from a brief scan of comments on the information super highway (aka, the internet) I came across a comment like this, “Yeh good stuff, but nothing out there”. That’s right, this place does some French classics (and a few more). No place can be everything at once. What you know you will get is some lovely, reasonably priced French food. Even more importantly, this unfolds in a snob-free, warm and welcoming environment. This is not always the case for French restaurants. Since it aims to be a Bistro style restaurant, it more than succeeds in being one; it serves simple, French food at an affordable price. By it’s very nature, it is not a place for people who want something “whizz-bang” to brag about the next week. It doesn’t even pretend to want to do such a thing anyway. And do you know what? I like it just the way it is. (I would just like to see more actual frolicking next time).

Thank you very much for your review Mischka! Recommended for all!

No comments: