Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Midweek drinks and how alcohol no longer makes me speak French

Well, despite it being a Tuesday, Dancinghula and Kt decided to go out to drinks to celebrate the return of one of their friends from overseas and catch up with Vinh. I decided to bring along my new French teacher, Gnoudesavanes (self-requested pseudonym, don't ask me to explain it) for the funs, to practice, and to show him the multi-drinking world that his this city. Well we had a lot of fun out drinking mulled wine and then some on the Rooftop bar followed by dinner in Chinatown where I came to a conclusion.

You know, there was a time when I used to think I could speak French relatively well. I mean, not perfectly fluently but passable enough that you could probably drop me in France and I'd be cool with it. Alcohol is also something I affectionately associate with my various times in Paris and there was period where drinking would make me speak French. It is apparent that those times have passed.

Je suis une traductrice merdique. Poor Gnoudesavanes (who speaks better English than I speak French) sat there while Vinh talked about squirting and....er...cats., things that I could in no way translate!!! And even when the conversation moved to more sedate conversation, I still couldn't explain whatever everyone wanted me to say into either French or English. *sob sob*.

But it's okay. Gnoudesavanes will be here until Oct, and I have until 2010 to perfect everything. It's achievable. But maybe with less alcohol.

No comments: