Monday, May 18, 2009

Bouldering!

Following pilates in 2005, teaching myself how to ride a bike in 2006, Brazillian jujutsu in 2007, I've decided that Bouldering is going to be my sport of the year partly due to The Pom's influence and since it's considered an even harder version of what was supposed to be my epic fail of a sport for 2008, rock climbing.

I can attest to the harder bit - I found rock climbing pretty easy with all the ropes and stuff. But without ropes it's freaking difficult! I can pretty much only do the super-easy green trails and need to drop the fear factor. When did I get so afraid of falling?! Especially since I'm falling onto giant crash mats?! Curse age and experience. The good thing would be that you don't need a belayer but that bad thing is I seem to only progress when people are yelling stuff at me so I need someone who doesn't mind standing around yelling at how I'm supposed to position my feet and how I'm never going to get to the next hold.

Anyway, I managed to get a photo of The Pom actually climbing and overhang but because it was on my crappy phone camera, it looks like a smudge so I won't upload it here. What I did manage to photograph is the chunk of skin that I managed to rip off my hand while I was trying to get myself from one hold to another!

Anyway, I hope to stick to this perhaps once a week augmented with gym and pilates to build up my core and upper-body strength and then we'll revisit this later in the year!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love rock climbing! I've never tried bouldering but it looks fun.

Unknown said...

ouchie! maybe gloves??? can you get special ones.

something to cheer you up-check out my blog!!!

Vanilla Bear said...

OUCH :S