Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Dinner at Bistro Guillaume

R is a girl who doesn't do things by half measures, and so to celebrate her birthday she decided we were going to eat at Bistro Guillaume. We two were the first to arrive and enjoyed the civilised surroundings and gentle French soundtrack as we waited for various courses and people to arrive.

The decor. Very pretty.

When enough people had arrived/the attendees decided to stop waiting for the late-comers, there was a high level of debate about what to have.

Unfortunately, it seems I wasn't asian enough to take photos of my food. I just started hoeing into the food so by the time I realised I hadn't taken a photo it had been mostly demolished. For entree we have the prawn special which I found a bit *meh* but I'm giving a huge thumbs up to the charcuterie plate. A special highlight of the plate was the chicken and duck parfait which was so good that when the bread was finished, we decided to just eat it alone off our forks. Disgusting, perhaps, but it seemed more so to let it go to waste.

As for the mains, all reviews I had read pretty much said to either select either the steak frites or the *Guillaume fish and chips*.
The fish and chips looked like this - COOL! - but I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat an entire deep fried fish.

I ended up on the steak frites and didn't regret my choice.

Because I am a believer in fibre, we ordered some vegetable-based side dishes. I highly recommend broccolini with roasted almonds but the gratin of potatoes was also very tasty.

For dessert, we had a tarte aux citron which doubled as a birthday cake. I'm not sure if it came from the restaurant, I think it did. It doesn't matter - it was also lovely and a wonderfully palate-cleansing end to a wonderful dinner!

And so to end, I would again like to wish R a happy birthday!

Cheesy three!

(Decor photo from here, food photos from here, friendly three shot from Mischka's blog)

1 comment:

The Pom said...

If Id been served fish and 4 (FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!) chips I would have been very very angry.