Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend round up

This was a pretty jam-packed action weekend!

It all kicked off on Friday night with a lovely dinner at EQ (I had the spaghetti with calamari - very nice and light) followed by a night at the ballet! We watched the Stanton Welch version of Sleeping Beauty. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as a narrative medium, I think ballet fails. We hadn't read our synopsis sheets by the time we took our seats and naturally the first act didn't make much sense to us. I also liked the giant rat costumes *thumbs up*. If I had to complain, it would be that the dance-off at the end of the third act which is usually different dancers showing off (the Nureyev version described it was guests at the wedding) had the same dancers dancing over and over and it went for too long. That's not to say it wasn't excellent dancing, but I found out later I wasn't the only one thinking *omg, hurry up I want to go home!*.

And so to close that, here's a clip of
Alina Cojocaru from the Royal Ballet rehearsing the Rose Adagio - hardest bit in ballet!


The next day, I had to groom myself to a high gloss to attend the wedding of H's sis. It was the first wonderfully warm day of the Spring, which was especially nice while standing on a terrace drinking champagne by the river.

Bride and flower girl

With the Maid of Honour

The utterly delicious menu!!!

Bride and groom give their speech in the shadow of the huge cake
(which I was too full to eat, *sob sob*)


The next day, I dragged my sorry self out to have yumcha, after which I was delivered home and had a much longed-for nap. That was REALLY awesome :D.