Sunday, February 12, 2012

RIP Whitney Houston.

Pooey sent me a whatsapp which I received at 2am saying that Whitney Houston died. Kind of like the passing of Amy Winehouse, the news was not particularly unexpected, but shocking and tragic nonetheless because a ridiculous talent was lost (admittedly a while ago :/) in the haze of drug abuse. 


Seriously, check it out:
She had it all - crazy talent, confidence, presence, looks...and she was about 22(?) in 1985. Even Dave is impressed!

I'll say it - a measure of her talent lives on in *Idol* shows. How many contestants try to belt out a Whitney song to demonstrate their vocal prowess? It's usually something like I Have Nothing
Unfortunately everyone now uses excessive melisma to demonstrate how great a singer they are.  

But it's not even people who think they can sing! I'm not a great singer but I loved getting smashed and then horrifying my friends by grappling with something like I Will Always Love You (always funny) or something like this:
Usually done in duet with my gal Nance! I think we were once rated 88% on it!

Also, as annoying it is it that Youtube Deutschland won't let me use official recordings, using the live performances for this entry I think is a sad demonstration of how good she was. 

No comments: