Thursday, February 16, 2012

Salt and Pepper Squid!


A while ago I bought some frozen squid tubes because I wanted to throw it into a claypot. Also, squid keeps its texture quite well after freezing. The only problem is that it takes up a fair amount of space so I defrosted some during the day and contemplated how I could cook them. Somehow I settled on salt and pepper squid, one of my Chinese restaurant faves. Finding a recipe, I'm happy to report that it's pretty easy to make! 


I did modify it though - I used corn flour instead of plain flour, and because I didn't have five-spice powder, I threw in cumin (and hoped it would taste a bit like meat harmonicas). I also shallow-fried it rather than deep fry in 1L of oil. The shallow fry is slower but by scoring the squid, you can still tell when it's ready! And then with the small amount of leftover oil, I fried the coriander and spring onion garnish! I should have put chili in it though for an extra kick. 

No comments: