Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Winter Olympics

I've been meaning to write this entry since it started. Man, I love the Winter Olympics in a way that I don't love the Summer ones. I think it's because the danger factor of the sports in winter is exponentially higher compared to summer, and the sports are just a helluva lot more wacky.

Take Biathlon for instance: There's nothing like skiing around and shooting things. Or ski jump - just throwing yourself off a mountain. Or anything that involves the word *freestyle*. Roy and I had a long argument about which sport was more dangerous - luge or skeleton. Roy argued that luge was more dangerous because you can't see what's coming toward you. I said it was skeleton because you go down headfirst - so you CAN see what's coming. Either way, I don't think it really matters, just watching everyone crash on the evening round-up...it satisfies my desire to see crashes. And where else can you see relatively skinny ppl with crazy quad muscles like hams, but in the speed skating? I love downhill skiing, despite being utterly crap at it. By watching it on tv, I can almost feel the freezing burning wind on my cheeks and the slippy feeling without aggravating my crappy ankle and knees.

And they guys who compete in it! You get the whole gamut to choose from. Feminine looking guys with eyeline in the figure skating comp, to the kinda scary ones in the ice hockey. Watching the podium chairs for the Men's Freestyle Moguls - it was like watching musical chairs that featured only really good-looking guys with pale skin, pink cheeks, and bright hair. I kinda wish I was that girl handing the flowers to Dale Begg-Smith. A male friend who shall remain nameless conceded to me that Begg-Smith is pretty good looking. Surely that's saying something!

No comments: