Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bieber Fever, or why I have never been happier to be considered a strange girl

It's moderately late at night and I have my usual late night TV on - music channel for some background sounds while I do my computery things - and they've just gone and played this song:


(I used this other than an actual clip so you could all see the lyrics - baby, baby, baby nooooo!)

Now apart from the fact that this song is kinda horrendous, apparently this fellow was in Australia over the weekend (the below clip was filmed in Sydney). I had a bit of a full weekend and wasn't paying much attention to what was going on, but these these kinds of things happened:



And I'm guessing it wasn't the crap music that drove them to these heights of insanity. But this entry is not about a kid who is 16 but looks and sounds like he's 12 and has the hair flick down pat, no. It's about teen female hysteria.

This was partially discussed in the lab today between Laulita, Colleen and myself where we discussed who were the *It Boys* that we squealed over.

For C, it was Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
(Source)


Laulita 'fessed up to pretty much chasing Billy Zane out of a shop in Melbourne
(but that's understandable - he's a cool dude.)

But speaking for myself, I could not think of a single one whose pictures I used to paper my walls, bothered to go see in person, or who could drive me to tears and fainting spells. I remember Auntie had an entire wall of her room covered in posters of New Kids on the Block, not to mention many other pieces of fan paraphernalia around her room. And then there were the scenes of hysteria when Boyz II Men visited Melbourne Central but it got overcrowded and so was shut down, Bieber style. I could not for the life of me think of some heartthrob celebrity of my teen life who could have made me scream out their name, wave my arms in the air, and just...I don't know...act like a teenage girl. It's like there was/is something wrong with me. But if not acting like a deranged, squealing, obsessive stalker results in being labelled *abnormal*, I will wear that tag with pride.

Of course, when I hit the ripe of old of 27, I made this photoshop:
Photobucket
So maybe it was just a case of delayed development :P

1 comment:

Pooey said...

heheehe farnie photoshop

justin who?