Friday, April 16, 2010

Classic movie review - The Godfather, Parts I and II

About a week ago, I was flipping channels when I came across this classic scene being played on Showcase or something like that.

I then settled in to watch Michael Corleone's descent into the world of crime. And then I watched it immediately afterwards because Showcase 2 was showing The Godfather I on a two hour delay. They haven't showed The Godfather II yet, but I'm sure I could also watch it back to back!

Few 173 or 200 minute movies are good enough for me to watch back to back but these are absolutely two of them! It's no mistake that The Godfather I and II are usually fighting with The Shawshank Redemption for places 1-3 on IMDB's Top 250 films list, popularly voted by members of IMDB. There's so many great things about the two - the story, the acting, the music, the direction! And it goes to show that there's no politics quite like family politics.



I won't go into the usual plot, acting analysis stuff that I do for other movie reviews. Just that it as a given that since I have designated it a *classic movie* that there's something in it worth watching. All those movie reviewers who've given it a 100% *fresh* rating on rottentomatoes can't be wrong!

On that note however, I wouldn't say The Godfather III is up there with the others. The movie kinda hinges on the acting of Sofia Coppola and while I won't say she ruined the movie...it probably wasn't up to scratch. But watch it for completion value!

1 comment:

Spu said...

Moo, godfather 2 was on the next weekend...