Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Blasts from the Past...or Not

Going back to the gym, I've rediscovered a few late 90s/early 2000s music pearls. Well, maybe "pearl" is too strong a word but I'm remembering how much I enjoyed songs like Usher's You Make me Wanna, the Spice Girls' Who Do You Think You Are?, the backlist for the Backstreet Boys, Milkshake by Kelis and so forth. This made me want to look up the videos to share on Facebook and this blog.


Except there's something really special about Youtube in Deutschland that stops me from looking up official video clips or various artists' VEVO accounts to watch and post. Many times when looking up videos here, I'm greeted by this message:
Unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany because it may contain music for which GEMA has not granted the respective music rights.
And it's not just limited to official channels! A few months ago, Aunty MyTree posted a vid of her kids singing songs and posted it on youtube to share with the family. A day later she got an email from youtube Germany saying it violated some terms and conditions. And so the rest of the family could watch it but not me :(


It's really annoying. But I guess we can deal with it. 

No comments: