Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Dumpling hunt

I know it sounds like sometimes I'm just spending all my time in Munich looking for foods to comfort me but really...c'mon people, how can a city as big as Muenchen not have a Chinatown? Luckily it does have two (apparently famous) universities and research institutes. And where there are universities, there are Asian students. And where there are Asian students, there are generally el cheapo Asian eateries! Browsing around myasianmunich, there are apparently two dumpling shops in the Univiertel (uni area) area and so after admiring the colours of Autumn, I shuffled over to try some dumplings to assuage my hangover. 


I went to Akuo, where I was surprised to find the shop empty (okay, it was 2:30 on a Sunday afternoon) but they were serving so I sat down and ordered 10 dumplings. While waiting, I registered that the staff spoke Mandarin, not Shanghainese but probably Taiwan. And then the dumplings came and they looked like this:


I was pretty pleased with their appearance. I mean, they're not xiaolongbaos but they look like pretty normal jiaozi to me and served with some soy with chili in floating in it. That's good. So I ate them and they were fine as well but I don't know....either the dumplings in Melb have a high meat to veggie ratio or I felt like they should have had more meat in them. Don't get me wrong! They weren't bad, in fact, they were pretty good! But they just weren't the same. Maybe I'm just being fussy. Or maybe I should drag the only other Melburnian with me next time although he doesn't understand why I crave dumplings the way I do. 


And so, the hunt continues.  

No comments: