Wednesday, November 02, 2011

House of Pies

One of the things I've really missed while living in Muenchen are meat pies. This is actually quite bizarre because I didn't actually eat that many pies in Melbs, or at least, I don't think I did. The craving was partially assuaged by Pooey smuggling party pies into Europe for me (and Smee) but for times when an Aussie is not able to come to Europe with foodgoods, I've since found a stop-hold!

A while ago, Kiwi Amy and I were talking about foods we missed and she mentioned that there was a SHOP that sold TAKEAWAY PIES in the Hauptbahnhof. For those who have never been to Munich Hauptbahnhof (Central train station), it's a multi-storey bohemoth. I figured out where the shop, lovingly named *House of Pies* was located but for various reasons, every time I previously went for a pie, the store was either closed or I got lost in the various tunnels. This past Saturday, I was heading to Ludwigsvorstadt to visit a shop when I realised *Hey! I have to change at the Hbf...I can GET A PIE!!!* And so I did :D

I think I ordered a classic steak pie
It came in a tinfoil pan (tick) but the girl didn't offer me sauce (passable because I said I wanted it mitnehmen - takeaway). I paired it with veggies to make my lunch marginally healthier.

Cutting it open, I was pleasantly pleased to find it was filled with gravy which was quite nice. It probably could have had a bit more meat but otherwise in terms of flavour, I was happy. 

So now that I know I can go here to get a passable pie (as opposed to going to an Irish pub and have a dry shepherds pie as has happened previously and went UNFINISHED), I will work my way through their menu which includes sausage rolls and fruit pies. Good times people, good times. 

1 comment:

Pooey said...

Hey this pie looks pretty good... makes me salivate