Saturday, November 19, 2011

Glory Nuts of Comprehension

As a side story to the concert, it's taken me almost a year but when I went to watch George perform, I HAD MY FIRST COMPREHENSIBLE GERMAN CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE WHO COULDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH and DIDN'T SWITCH TO SPEAKING ENGLISH! 

And okay, it was about buying nuts but it's still good because of context! Basically, we got to the concert early and decided to buy some pre-concert food. Jul wanted a crepe while I wanted some sugar-roasted nuts and so we split to different stalls. I originally wanted almonds but seeing all the different nuts, I changed my mind to wanting mixed nuts. But there was a problem - there was no sign saying they were selling mixed nuts. So, we had a convo that went along the lines of this: 

Me - Hallo! Entschuldigung, haben Sie gemischte Nuesse? (Excuse me, have you got mixed nuts?)
Server - Ja, aber nur fuer zweihundert gramm (yes, but only for 200g)
Me - Oh, und wie viel kostet das? (Oh and how much does that cost?)
Server - (not given so that you don't realise I got totally ripped off). 
Me - Hmmm, das is okay. Ich moechte gern bitte! (I'd like some!)

And as I walked away with my toasty mixed nuts, I realised I'd only spoken German to her! She'd only spoken German to me! And we BOTH UNDERSTOOD EACH OTHER!!!! And because 200g was far too much for me to eat in one sitting, I took them to work the next day and shared it with the crew and told them my story! We decided these nuts were alternatively representative of glory and comprehension which therefore makes them...

GLORY NUTS OF COMPREHENSION!!!

No comments: