Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Movie review - The Wolf of Wall Street.

Jordon Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a self-made made. A millionaire, owner of his own Wall St. stockbroking firm (Stratton Oakmont), beautiful wife Naomi (Margot Robbie), a huge house, a private yacht, and as many drugs and hookers as he likes. Based on a true story and the current record holder for most uses of the F-word (and variations) in a feature film, this is Martin Scorsese's latest film about criminals and low-lifes (even when they're living the high life).

Hmmm, I'm a bit conflicted about this movie so I'll just do a pro vs con review.
Pro

  • This is a pretty interesting story that I feel was well-adapted. The opening scene where Belfort introduces himself and his possessions do a pretty good job of showing his self-absorption and materialism. It also does a pretty good job of immediately giving a reason how these combined to drive him towards criminal activity by his desire to control how others perceive him.
  • Leo really puts in an amazing performance. At his manipulative yet charming best, we are shown how Belfort was well-regarded by his peers despite being an absolute shit. Also, two words - crawling scene.  
  • The rest of the cast are also to be commended. Robbie could have easily been the sexy-bimbo/husband-stealing second wife, but draws an emotional response as her life-crashed down around her through no (real) fault of her own. Props also to Jonah Hill as Belfort's second-in-command who is let down by a combination of greed and a bit of lack of brains, and Matthew McConaughey as the broker who set Belfort down his path.

Con

  • It might be well written but it's freaking long. Clocking in at 180 minutes (not including previews/adverts), I'll flat out say that I was sore from sitting so long! 
  • The movie has been accused of glorifying Belfort and his crimes and to an extent I agree. We never actually see the people who suffer as a result of his actions, just repeated and prolonged scenes of parties, drugs and sex. These also become grating after a while - I just wanted to say, "Okay, I get it, let's move on." Perhaps this was the intention, but I felt that my reaction that Belfort is a despicable person is more to do with subjective response as opposed to what was presented to us on screen.  
  • On that note, I can't help but feel the sex/drugs were completely over the top. I mean, I know some corporate types and have been told that there is a culture of drugs, booze, and sex that they join in on to 'fit in', but I can't help finding hookers for the brokers and sex in the office during working hours in front of others to be slightly unrealistic? 
  • Unless you include Belfort's arrival at LF Rothschild, there's no real character development. Most the people are introduced as small-fry scumbags and end as bigger-fry convicted scumbags. It can be argued that this is because none of the people involved were/are actually repentant of what they've done, but we don't even get much insight into the FBI agent who brought it all down (Kyle Chandler).

So yeah, in this case my cons outnumber the pros. However, while I think this isn't Scorsese's best, but I can't say I wasn't entertained.
6.5-7/10

No comments: