Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Year-End Roundup.

So here is my 2013 round up now that the year has come to an end.

After presenting some of my results in Melbs at the start of the year, I spent a lot of this year writing manuscripts. One of my papers was accepted in September, and for those who don't know, the paper that I wrote in a week was also accepted just before Christmas :D. Other things finally started to work, and it also took me to some workshop meetings on the Starnberger See and German Alps. After all this, I suppose I can say that it was a pretty good work year over all. For those who don't know, I'll actually be joining a new group in 2014 - the people with whom I wrote the one week paper! This both thrills and frightens me as I'll be leaving behind the crowded pool of diabetes research and move into the crowded pool of cancer research. 

After ringing in the new year in Davos,.I spent a lot of time travelling in 2013! As part of the to Melbs in Jan/Feb, I also swung by Singapore and Radelaide to catch up with old friends. Eight weeks after returning to Germs after that trip, I was back in Melbs for Pooey and Smee's wedding. I also go to walk around and drink in some Australian flora. I caught up with them again in Rundon in June, before H and I went off to Helsinki and St. Petersburg. I started summer with a long weekend in Budapest and got my feet super dirty at the Balaton Sound EDM fest in Zamardi - it was worth it :D. I stayed in Munich for most of the summer - not a bad decision given the heatwave - before catching up with H, Laulita, and Rosa in Rome - when I finally got to visit Pompeii! During October, I went off to Solingen and Wurzburg as part of the Wedding Road Trip, then caught up with Marene and Studds in Belgium in November. Unbelievably, the year ended as it started because I was back in Singapore and Australia again in December. And despite all of that, I'm STILL not a Krisflyer gold member!   

This year's movie of the year is going to be a controversial choice. It is actually...One Direction: This is Us by Morgan Spurlock and featuring One Direction. Why? Because it has totally converted me to them. Despite only seeing it for the first time when I got back to Melbs in December (1D aren't big in Germany), I somehow watched it 2 more times before the year was out. But okay, if you want a real movie as my movie of the year, I'll say it was Rush, which I also watched multiple times before the end of the year. 

2013 was also a year of sport with visits to the Aus Open and joining in on the Champions League celebrations, parties, and all-round fun. Looking back, it was a pretty good year! Here's to 2014 being even better!

No comments: