Monday, April 04, 2005

another one

London 27/12

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who writes back to these emails. I know I'm lazy and I should write back individually to you all, but....yeah...thanks and big hugs. Or if you're not touchy-feely, big smiles all round. And I hope Christmas was good for you all and if I dont get to a net cafe in Italy, happy new year as well.

My Christmas here went pretty well. We spent it with my cousins, but we had to walk for 1.3 hours from our place in Bloomsbury to her place near Notting Hill. It wasnt a particularly cold day, but we were unbelievably thankful that it wasnt the White Christmas some ppl were betting on. Our cheeks were pretty much frozen by the time we got there. But thats not the most important thing. For a city as large and busy as London, its unbelievable that everything shuts down completely for one day. Seriously, NO shops were open. On the walk to my cousins', we had to go down Oxford St. which is one of the busiest shopping streets here. It was really eerie, like that scene out of 28 days later, where that guy walks around Westminster and there's nothing. There were other tourists walking around just looking kinda dazed cos they couldnt do anything, although there were some standing in the middle of these massive roads taking photos with no traffic around.

Everything was half-closed on Boxing Day. It appears that shops can only open for 6 hours, so they choose to remain closed until midday then open. Except for Selfridges, which allowed ppl to come in at 11:30, but you couldnt BUY anything until midday. I went to Selfridges....its a department store thats got all the big brand names, but there were queues to get into certain sections. the Gucci queue went straight out the door and at least 100metres down Oxford St. The Dior queue snaked around the floor, and the LV queue...well, lets not go there.


Anyway, I need to get going and do my last laundry run before i leave London *sniff*.
This city will see me back with a vengeance!!!

No comments: