Monday, April 04, 2005

damn i wrote a lot of emails...

London 23/12

I dunno why I'm so slack at sending out emails. ppl who are online around 10am Melbourne time will realise now that I'm a regular at the Korean gangster net cafe :-P its mostly got to do with uploading photos, burning etc. Its not that I've taken that many photos - absolutely nowhere near to the amount I took in Paris, but it seems lots of net cafes here don't run winxp, but the Koreans do, hence, its my late night hangout...well, for 30 mins anyway.


And I think the reason why i've taken less photos here is due to the free entry to galleries and museums. I've been to about 6 now, but cos its free here, they're really reliant on what you buy in the gift shop for money and the donations where they suggest that you pay £1. So, they have guards in the rooms to stop you from taking pictures so you're forced to buy books as a reminder of the work. On the other hand, in Paris, you've (well, not me) normally got to pay to enter, hence they have a *stuff all* attitude to ppl taking pictures, so long as its no flash. Or it could just be the French being *stuff all* in general, I dunno.

Apart from being really geeking and feeding my excitement at seeing well-known items, I've been to 3 stage shows in as many days. I've seen Romeo and Juliet by the Royal Shakespeare Company, Mary Poppins (she can really fly!), and Phantom of the Opera. I think they used microphones in the last one...or voiceovers. Either way, I feel slightly ripped off. I really wanted to see Chicago and the Producers, but both seem to be sold out until January. Unless I want a seat that's obstructed by a pole for Chicago :-(. But seriously, the ticket guy was going to sell me a pole seat. But then I wont be able to see all that dancing!

But out of all the touristy things I've done so far, I think the best was the Tower of London - they had an exhibition on torture and weapons, while the biggest waste of money was the London Eye. It cost £9 and its just a glorified ferris wheel. Maybe it would have looked nicer at night, but in the daytime, all i could see were Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, industrial stuff to the east and lots of grey. Ok, thats a bit of an exaggeration, if i zoomed in, I could see Buck Palace, but I seriously dont think it was worth it. Even my friends were over it halfway through the *ride* And so did the vocal little girl who kept yelling out *I'm bored!* It goes really slowly and for about 30-45 mins.

The street markets here are worth it though, and the best one i've been to so far is the Camden Town one. My joy at it may have been due to smelling all the pot that the stallkeepers were smoking, but seriously, it was a lot of fun. It was huge and sold a wide variety of things, from goth clothing (it looked really good! Corsetry and wide skirts) to furniture to MAGIC MUSHROOMS. Some stalls openly sold the whole thing while others sold kits to help you grow them. And i wanted to buy a shirt that said *Do not start with me. YOU WILL LOSE*. my kinda shirt.

Have krispy kreme donuts made it to Melbourne yet? Because I've discovered that the Tescos near my place sells them, by the box and singularly. Its another reason why I should stay here. To everyone that I told I will come back nice and skinny from eating only bread and water...well, i'm a bit more roly-poly than normal. I'm taking afternoon tea as my main meal of the day, so i'm eating heavily sugared tea and cakes everyday (yum!), not to mention bug english breakfasts that have 3 courses - cereal, hot foods, and bread/croissants and tea. I havent had steak and kidney/ale pie yet, but I did go to a pub and I did eat bangers and mash. I was going to eat jellied eels after being told its the grossest thing england has to offer by way of food, but i havent seen them yet.

Anyway, for people who remember me complaining about maids when I was in Paris, the maids in the hotel didnt fold up my pjs and do up all the buttons, but in our room we've got a little sink that we put our toiletries around and its not unusual to come home and see the maid has re-arranged the stuff in order of size. And everyday they re-screw on the little caps to my friend's contact lens case. Now that's dedication!

No comments: