Monday, April 04, 2005

nearly there

Rome 6/1

hey everyone, just some quick points this time as I'm very far from my accommodation right now

1. on arrival in rome, i checked myself into a, comparatively, luxurious hotel. Got myself a double room with ensuite and absolutely fantastic hairdryer(yay!!!!), and satellite tv (YAYAYAY!!!!!) for 1 night.

2. New accommodation for the rest of my rome stay...turns out I'm living with NUNS. Thats right, NUNS. Somewhat suitable, eh? They even wear habits!

3. Rome is big and lovely, with ruins in the weirdest places, but crossing the road is scary.

4. Sexual harrassment is alive and well. I know some of you guys said that I had to have a certain number of proposals by the time I left, does harrassment count? I've been in Rome for 1 full day and been accosted 3 times. 1. In a gallery by a guard who told me i should hang around for a few hours and go with him to his next gallery *work place*. 2. By a guy on the street who saw i was looking at my map and said that if I was willing to wait until 1pm when he got off work (worked in a shop I walked past) we could go to the mansion i wanted to visit together - this conversation was in french, i may have got it wrong though. 3. In a CHURCH. I was about to leave when a guy told me i had to bow and do the sign of the cross before leaving. Being in the heart of catholic country, I thought I'd better obey, after which he grabbed my hand and started talking to me. After i said I was a student, he patted my hip. After I said I thought rome was nice, he tried to kiss me. After that, I told him the nuns were waiting for me. He let me go.

5. I dont know if nuns have internet...I'm about halfway across the city from my nuns.

No comments: