Monday, April 04, 2005

hi everyone

After procrastinating for half a year now, I've finally decided to set up a blog. And I fully promise that these blogs will fulfil the title of being no point stories, or may my beloved polar bear crumble to the ground. *I don't want him to crumble :-( *

First i'll backtrack to the emails i sent out from Europe and links to my photos

(Paris 27/Nov)
First things first - I ate snails today as a challenge. They were actually pretty good, no doubt due to the fact that I love both abalone and garlic, and that pretty much describes the texture and flavour. I haven't come across frogs' legs yet, nor have I tried roadside crepes - but they smell awesome!
I have yet to meet a nasty french person, although an old man came up to me and said I was a *jou-jou* (toy/doll) when I was wearing my new coat (Vaughn, you'll be pleased to learn it was not the 125 euro one, only 85 euros - approx $160AUD), which was kinda creepy cos I had no idea what he meant and did all these strange gestures. In general, ppl have been pretty forgiving of my crappy french. A person I was talking to on the train said I was pretty good for someone who had only been learning for 4 months, then I went and ruined it by telling them I'd learnt for 2 years, but hadnt spoken in 4 months. In reply they said *oh, well you speak clearly and conjugate verbs well. keep trying!* And the policeman at the arc de triomphe had no idea what I was talking about.
Speaking of the arc, there are no lines indicating lanes on the roundabout around it. It was damn scary watching the traffic go around.
The shopping here is fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough. I am in the process of committing financial suicide. In the four days I've been here, other than the coat, I bought a boucle skirt and seriously considered shelling out for a shift dress, some really cute 10cm stilletto heels, a suede bag, and a silk scarf. And I'm going to try and go to this department store completely devoted to beauty products called *Sephora* where they make personalised perfumes. What I've bought is nothing compared to Ruilin (for ppl who know Ruilin)...she's told me 2 days in a row *even if i hate you, stop me from buying things*. It didnt work and I think she's spent at least 300 euros already
Other than the shopping, everything here is like 10 times more than at home. The public system is more crowded and quicker, I have yet to wait more than 2 minutes for a train, or 5 minutes for a bus. The buskers are weirder - saw a guy with a full glockenspiel today and two 10yo boys came on the train yesterday, performed a rap, complete with speakers, and then asked for money for their performance. Hell, even the homeless ppl/beggars are more disgusting than they are at home. And the beggars are EVERYWHERE. And its not just dirty people either. We discovered at Notre Dame that lots of ppl feel really guilty when they buy something at the tourist trap stall and then see this little old nun standing nearby with a little basket.
Its been 4 days and I already dont want to come home. But for those who know about "The Plan", its not going very successfully.


No comments: