Friday, May 26, 2006

Just a general hi-ho!

This had been a pretty bad week for me, experiments-wise. I've never had so many things fail on me before in my life!!! Here's the list

Monday am - Rat dies too fast from anaesthetic. I have difficulty popping the eyes due to its death, taking too long to do it so the retinas detach and are useless
Monday pm - Start S100b-594/EAAT4-488 flatmount

Tuesday am - Meetings all morning
Tuesday pm - Three hours on a confocal microscope garners only 7 photos
Wednesday am - Start immunos on vertical sections

Wednesday pm - The cryostat pulls my tissue out of the block
Thursday am - Finish immunos, but the coverslip smears all the sections, wasting 2 days work
Thursday pm - go to Path to cry, Veronika stains a slide with H&E for me that confirms what the immuno would have (below).
Friday am - Nearly lose the flatmount tissue that I started on Monday! Find it in a puddle on the table and although majorly squashed when mounted, it's ok. FM turns out to be stained beautifully.

Friday pm - where we are now....trying to decide if I should start up a new FM....unsquashed.

I'm really tempted to just stop right now on a high...but on the other hand, I wont have to worry about it much next week if i start it now....

I would also like to point out that I've added another blog to my links - my sister has decided to keep one to chronicle her adventures around Aus working as an optom. It seems that she's mostly using it to complain at the moment, though.

You'll find her at http://frankly-cross-eyed.blogspot.com/
Toodles!

No comments: