Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sydney - Saturday MARDI GRAS

The morning was pretty uneventful other than agreeing to go clubbing with Addy, Pooey's friend from undergrad days, and then meeting up with Pooky for lunch and shopping for club-suitable clothes. The afternoon is when the show started!

While waiting to meet up with others, I spied a bunch of guys wearing some colonial miliary kit standing outside the Town Hall. I have no idea what was going on there, but took a pic for posterity.

We then followed a major procession of people moving from George St. to Hyde Park/Oxford St. Man there were a lot of people! Here's a few shot of the moving crowd!
We then parked ourselves at the corner of Hyde Park/Oxford/Liverpool streets. Cam's friend X bought some stools that were being hawked because being Asian, we were shorter than the majority of the crowd. While we didn't end up towering over everyone else (mostly because the others had the same idea), we did get a reasonable view.
Uh-oh, all this crowd in our way!

The crowd going all the way up Oxford St.

But it's ok, we got an excellent view of the Big Screen!

The parade kicked off as usual with the Dykes on Bikes.

There was one who was riding with a sign that said *Rooters on Scooters* but I didn't get a photo of that.

I did manage to get a little bit of the Parade King, Rupert Everett, but not a single good photo.

Its only the last five seconds that you see him - the car was moving pretty slowly.

Here's some of the floats from that night

Clockwise: the police band, A drag group, Melbourne Gays, And their proper float

Mature Age Gays

I dunno who these guys are, but I like their style and effort!
But the best video I took that night was definitely of the Asian Marching Boys.

I ended up having to leave after about an hour to get ready for clubbing so I was disappointed to hear from Alix on Sunday that I missed the two ppl who were held together by a giant P33N. Ah well. Always next year!

No comments: