Sunday, August 05, 2007

C'etait un Rendezvous

I've been meaning to post about this for a while. When I saw the clip for Snow Patrol's song "Open Your Eyes", I was struck by the beauty and simplicity of the clip, not to mention bringing back waves of longing upon recognition of the various Paris landmarks.

Seriously, how can you not watch that and not be moved? Speeding through the streets of one of the most romantic cities to meet your honey. *sigh*

Anyway, I thought it was a series of clips that had been spliced together - after all, who would be so foolhardy to drive through the streets of Paris like that? Knowing how far apart the various landmarks are and the variations in light, my safe little mind said it was not possible.

Turns out it is a continuous single shot -
C'était un rendez-vous from 1976 by Claude Lelouch (IMDB link here).

Watching the original full length video without the soft guitar rock of Snow Patrol makes the vid seem so much more...I dunno, dangerous and reckless, without the romance of the thumping bass line and string section. All those screeching brakes! But at the same time, I can't help but admire the crazy driving. It's like a video from Top Gear.

In fact, recreating the vid is something I would have thought Jeremy, James, or the Hamster would have taken to with alacrity. It was to my (mild) displeasure that I found it was the less fun Fifth Gear programme which got there first. But I can't help being pleased with their effort.

And I'm mildly amused to find that it takes two hours to recreate what was a nine minute film.

Regardless of whether it's possible now or whatever, it's a brilliant film and I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments: