Friday, December 12, 2008

Growing old gracefully.

I was reading the paper this morning when I saw this picture of Liz Taylor:

(Source)
It depresses me that she used to be such a beautiful woman but now that she's elderly (76yo) and unwell (diabetes, hip replacements, brain tumour removed) she's fighting time like that. I accept that the loss of youth and beauty is not an easy one to deal with. Hell, I'm no beauty and I'm not old but it's kind of galling for me to look in the mirror and see that things have changed. But the leggings, hat, boots, and (dear god) the #$!@-me red lipstick and nail polish makes me hope that she demanded that her assistants do that (possibly) because she's doped up on various painkillers (probably).

Liz in past days (Source)

This then made me think of actresses of the past who managed to escape the slide into parody and managed to look great as they aged. So here is a list of women who I think didn't turn in Michael Jackson with time.

Lauren Bacall at some point in time and at the premiere of Gypsy last night (Source)
What I love about Lauren Bacall is that she actually looks her age (83). She's a fabulous old-school star and with those pearls, simple suit and hairstyle she's never lost her class. Okay, the low-riding top I'm not so fond of but hey, it's proof she's all real so a big thumbs up!

Vanessa Redgrave in 1966 and in 2007 (Source, source)
Vanessa Redgrave (71) was never in my mind a total glamazon - no giant jewels and over-the-top make up for her. Maybe this makes it easier as she's kept her fresh faced look as far as I can tell. Of course, with cheekbones and piercing blue eyes like those, she didn't need all of that stuff anyway.

Catherine Deneuve and daugher Chiara Mastroianni (Source)
I'm not putting a younger photo of Catherine Deneuve here because she is actually not that old (65). Having said that, I had to include her because I remember watching 8 Women in which she was 59 and just staring at how beautiful she was. Her co-star in that movie, Danielle Darrieux (91), also gets a mention. Still actively making movies and still smiling.
Danielle Darrieux at 89! (Source, source)


Olivia de Havilland publicity photo then and now (Source, source)
Olivia de Havilland hasn't acted in about 20 years, and fair enough given that she's now 92, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the last surviving star of Gone With The Wind is recognisable for the woman she was seven decades ago!

And then of course there's Sophia Loren (19, 72yo in that pic) who's clearly had work done (such a smooth face!) and is doing some serious mutton/lamb action but somehow manages to pull it off to the point that she was a model for a Pirelli calendar a few years ago!

Alright, so these women
started off with some pretty good genes and bone structure, but it just goes to show that it is possible to grow old gracefully.

4 comments:

senorita.blue said...

Ah - aging... is a slow painful process.
Kudos for those women who managed to do it gracefully.

Sarah said...

Lauren Bacall's awesome. Never been a huge fan of Sophia Loren, but I do like Olivia de Havilland too.

Vanilla Bear said...

Omg I don't want to be old, I don't want to be old, I don't want to be old :( :(:(

Anonymous said...

Luxury expert Susan Tabak has written about aging with grace. Read Inherited Beauty, Susan Tabak's Chic List PART 1 and PART 2. Great pics. Learn more about Susan at her website: www.susantabak.com.