Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Year End Review!!!

Gosh, what a year it's been! Originally I was going to write a month-by-month review but reading back over the titles of year's entries in the sidebar, well...there's so much that I wonder how managed to do all of that as well as (allegedly) work on my thesis.

So 2008 was kicked off with a bang at the Grand Old Lady of Melbourne hotels, and then I somehow managed to travel to Sydney and Hobart during that month. What? I really must have gotten no work done in January.

It was a year when I started drinking again - starting with the grape grazing festival in Feb, lurching on new bars, to intoducing new friends and re-introducing old friends to bars in the city. And eating in the various restaurants around this town was taken to another level. Mmmmm, fooooood :D

A year of saying bai as various people moved o/s - Drs. K and I-K who went to NYC, Liz, Kahunes, and everyone else who went to London (Seriously, London has so many Melburnians there, it may as well be Meldon). Not as many Ohais in comparison. But you know, there were a lot of weddings so I imagine someone will spawn a child soon.

Other than Syd & Hobart, I had the Great Around the World Adventure 2008 less than six months after the Great European Adventure 2007. I learned the lesson that McDonalds is always the same everywhere in the world and it tastes really good after flying for 20 hours, the joy of being frisked, really tried to love NYC, experienced the London *heatwave*, and confirmed that I really really really really do love Paris.

Books were a bit of a disappointment. I'd say the best book I read this year were either Slaughterhouse 5 (published in 1969) and/or Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran (published 2001). And then there was Breaking Dawn...
EDIT - Book of the year is Sergei Lukyanenko's The Last Watch from the Night Watch series. I can't sleep, I'm reading it and I had to come here and edit this post at 2:20am to tell you all!!! Okay, it was first published in Russia in 2006, but it's only just been translated in English! Read the entire series!!!!
I seemed to have enjoyed the movies I watched. According to the review mark, the best movie was The Dark Knight. In hindsight, I'm tempted to say the best movie I saw all year was actually Persepolis. A controversial decision? Pom, I'm looking at you.


It was an absolutely FANTASTIC year for hotties! And not just hotties for my own viewing pleasure, these hotties linked me to the OrangeHoodies, vanillabear, caramelbear, chocolatebear, gingerbear, bluebear, pinabear, and yodabear - my internet and photoshop habits haven't looked back :P.

So lets look at the hotties of the year....

Yoann 'Lashes' Gourcuff destroyed everything in his path but he also became everyone's *sweet man*

Henry Cavill took his hotness to another level.

Christian Bale returned as Batman. Women the world over swooned.

Monica is still there, but I'll put in a pic of Eva Green just to make her jealous.

My good ol' hubby, Marat...

And my brand new hubby, Iker Casillas (so long as he chooses to date ugly women, Marat will have to deal with it)

So yes, a memorable 2008. I hope 2009 lives up to its promise! Happy New Year, everyone!

6 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

I was going to make a decent comment but then I scrolled down to Lashes and Henry and kinda got stuck... nice way to sum up the year! hehe xx

Anonymous said...

First up I'd like to thank-you for posting a picture of Eva in there. I'm sure that people looking over my shoulder as I read your blog loaded with your "hotties" are forming an opinion of me that may be crushing my brash macho ego (ahem) so its nice to be able to hover over a nice sultry Eva pic to reduce this effect.

Good summing up. I might disagree about best film..... Come on, Bond, Indy, and Wall-E! Though Dark Knight was good, if a bit long.

Have yourself a Happy New Year, see you at the grindstone soon.

Ps: Why is the stig not in your box of hotties? Is it because you ARE the stig?

mallymoodle said...

Vanillabear - I can think of no better way to end it than with some warming hotties!

You are correct, The Pom! I can't make myself a hottie because quite frankly I feel people already recognise my hottieness. Emphasis is not required.

Sarah said...

Callie's the Stig?!? It all makes sense now.

Happy new year! :]

blank said...

calliebear! <3 traveling, culture, return of the boozin. totally sweet year! I'm so glad that the hotties led you to us. You are the artiste that brings our visions to life!

Hope 2009 is even better and that it brings many more peaches moments for you xoxoxo

Stephanie said...

I forgot what I was going to put with the hotties at the bottom, but yay we met. Hotties win in way more way than one. ;D