Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Blog Challenge - Happy Music

There are many songs that make me happy. The emotional response I get is one of the most important things I look for - screw the political message *cough Radiohead cough cough*. So I had to cap this at 10 songs and 7 genres based on what I had on my ipod.

In no particular order....

Pop
Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
I'll admit to getting a little sick of the overplay this song is getting on the radio, but then I listen to the original acoustic and I remember again.


Maroon5 - Little of Your Time
Adam Levine and M5 are the masters of strangely boppy break up songs. This one is a conversation between two people - one who's had enough and one who's resorting to sex to make the other one stay.


Rock
Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out
It seems kinda strange to think that Oasis, they of the brawling and drinking could write something so sweet and tender. I especially love the strings. Should I not be able to organise it myself, I would like to have this played at my funeral for the positive message.


Disney
Enchanted/Amy Adams - That's How You Know
I love this song and I've spoken before about it's infectious happy :D


Opera
The Barber of Seville - Largo Al Factotum
One of my favourite pieces from one of my favourite operas. I love this vid of Thomas Hampson singing it, especially when you get the close up when he does the really fast bits (4:17)


The Barber of Seville - The Lesson Scene (Contro un cor)
The character who sings this is (Rosina) is written for a mezzo-soprano but sopranos are often cast in this role to make the vocal gymnastics seem even more spectacular. Count Almaviva is surreptitiously courting Rosina and finagles his way into her house under the eye of her guardian, Dr. Bartolo by posing as the priest who gives Rosina her singing lessons. Seriously, Edita Gruberova makes this look easy.


Dance
Groove Armada - Easy
This is a great house track - the thumping beat, the build up through the gradual addition of instruments, particularly when the piano kicks in, the roaring singing from (I think) Sunshine Anderson. Yeah, 'cos looking back it was EASY EASY EASY!!!


Linus Loves ft. Sam Obernik - Stand Back
I've also spoken about this one before and I still love it. Check out those moves!


International
Mikuni Shimokawa - Sore ga ai deshou (I Guess That's Love)
This was the opening theme to my favouritest anime of all time, Full Metal Panic! - Fumoffu. I can't find a video with the translation but I think you should all get the message from the clip and song.

5 comments:

The Informed Makeup Maven said...

Jason Mranz sucks.

I don't see Rick Astley's "Together forever"

The Informed Makeup Maven said...

The original 'Stand Back' by Stevie Nicks so rocks more!

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZI2x96P1wM

blank said...

ooh i want that guy in the stand back video to have a dance off with napoleon dynamite. epic!
v cool well-rounded list, im liking that oasis song.

also, i always think some male anime characters are hot and i feel really weird about it. :(

Unknown said...

Mateeeee....that oasis song is so NOT a happy song! especially when you bring up your own funeral! jeez..what were you thinking! put that under sad songs!

actually i dont have any of these songs on my pod..i'm pretty sure i don't even own any of them. although i may ask you for some groove armada stuff at uni.

You have inspired me again to also do a list of a comparable nature because I have written another finance and politics post and i need to sexy up my unbelievably dull blog post.

DANKE SHON.

Vanilla Bear said...

Oh I like how you've chosen songs from different genres! How appropriately cultured of you Cal ;) Jason Mraz <3