Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Blog Challenge - Happy Music part 2

On further thought, I think my list below is woefully inadequate. I had my other ipod on random (yes, I have two) and I remembered even MORE, older music that cheers me up! So here's some more with me trying to break them into genre.

Motown
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Aint No Mountain High Enough.
I would just like to say that I love music from the Gordy Berry-Motown Era.
Watch the documentary *Standing in the Shadows of Motown* and I swear that you will either already know (and love the songs). If you don't, you will.


Diana Ross & The Supremes/Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
It was really hard trying to pick my favourite from the entire back catalogue and I couldn't decide if this one or Marvin & Tammi made me happier. Then I came across this clip and decided that it just had to be included.


80s
WHAM! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
I don't care what people say about the 80s being the decade that style forgot. This was a classic decade for music, particularly 1987 (hai Kahunes!).This song is actually from 1984, but despite being only 3 years old at the time the peppiness has stayed with me ever since!

Since I can't find a clip for WHAM! that allows embedding, I'm putting in a classic from 1987, Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up - RickRolled!!!


Asian/Cantopop
Harlem Yu - Qing Fei De Yi
Now, I can't actually speak or read Chinese. I can read and say some things here and there but not enough for you to give me text and me to do anything with it. But I used to listen to this song enough that Miss Pooky and I ended a glorious karaoke night by singing this. Spoof/Fan clip by WongFu.


RnB/Pop
Janet & Luther - The Best Things In Life Are Free.
A short story, I was in a nightclub a few years ago when the canny DJ played this and the entire place erupted into cheers. Such is the power of this song.



Janet Jackson - Someone To Call My Lover
Continuing on from Miz Jackson, Mischka played this song in her car and 'fessed up that she loved it. I do too and I promised her that I'd look up the song that the opening guitar riff was taken from and I forgot about it until I heard the song again today. It's from "Ventura Highway" by America.


Beatles vs. Stones
Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There
Super difficult to pic a favourite out of their amazing backlist but this always makes me want to go out and dance - Grease-style. Or put on a puffy dress and scream.


Stones - Start Me Up
Mick's antics and face used to really freak me out when I was younger. Now that I'm older, it's good for bopping along while on public transport.


Song I love that I'm kinda ashamed to say I love

Jesse McCartney - Leavin'
Why I was sitting in the OKR Party House watching TV baffles me but this song was all over the music video channel when I was in London. It's catchiness drilled a hole in my head and oddly enough, reminds me of sunshine - probably due to the *heat wave* London had while I was there. Incidentally, I don't find Jesse hot - he still looks like a little boy to me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

ZOMG!!! the world is not supposed to know i like JJ!!! DAMN YOU MALICE!!! I rather prefer my carefully constructed image as a mopey bastard. OMG...mick jagger IS scary! hahaha..man..i LOVE the leotard...thing.

How freakin awesome is YOUTUBE!!! I will check out the rest later. But from the few that I saw it's pretty good. You know your stuff.

Unknown said...

btw...i think this article is in relation to those teenage vampire books...according to this author it's v good (soryr i didn't ahve time to read it) will look into it at some point

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200812/twilight-vampires

SuBoo said...

Funny thing - I never saw the video in London - OKR or elsewhere. Maybe coz I never watched teevee there - but I love it! Not sure if it is a happy song as such but yayay thumbs up!

Vanilla Bear said...

Since when was this Jesse guy all over the place in London? I've never heard of (a) him or (b) that song before in my life!

The Informed Makeup Maven said...

No pop there goes my heart?

blank said...

aaaah janet & luther. amazing, amazing song. where is this dj? i need him on speed dial for when i am cool and start having fabulous parties.

LOL @ jesse mcartney. sorry, that was just so unexpected after the beatles and the stones. i'll give it to you though the song is pretty catchy but that kid is such a douche, i cant handle him.
http://cm1.dotspotter.com/media/0/74/54/91942137.0.0.0x0.432x517.jpeg

mallymoodle said...

Elle Darko - sorry to burst your bubble! But I thought you were going to be cuddlier from here? :P

Suboo and Vanilla Bear - this was in May 2008, whatever the main channel is that plays crappy pop music vids, that's the channel that was playing Jesse. And I swear, they played it everyday I happened to be sitting there watching the vids.

Ms. N - It's up there with happiest mock songs!

Peachie - Come to Melb :P

senorita.blue said...

OMG - can i borrow one of your ipod, please?
When peachie mentioned Jesse McCartney - i cringed a bit... but thank goodness it's not Beautiful Soul.