Friday, June 06, 2014

Bristol!

When I told people I was heading to Bristol during my trip, the usual reply was, "Errr, why?" Like Glasgow, Bristol has a bit of a reputation as a rough city that's slowly coming back...but still not exactly somewhere you go for tourism. Well the primary reason was that Soph moved there and since my visits have been on the short side, we hadn't been able to catch up for ages. Since this trip was long(ish) and I had never been to South West England, I may as well head over for a visit! 

Unfortunately, we were so wrapped up in catching up that I didn't take any photos of the Georgian sandstone buildings of the Bristol city centre or of the cathedral as we strolled around. Eventually we made it to Clifton for lunch and then up the hill to Clifton Down.
Proof that we met up! And that we went to the Observatory!

The view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge from the Down. 

The bridge spans the river Avon and is apparently quite famous a suicide bridge. There were a few signs on the bridge listing a phone number for people who need help. 

I enjoy crossing famous bridges by foot. This photo doesn't indicate how windy it was. I may have Marilyn'd the passing cars.

The view of the Down and Observatory from the bridge. 

The Avon apparently flooded last year and made it up to the highway down there.


We headed back into town and while walking around, saw this beautiful Victorian era shopping arcade.

According to the official website, when the arcade was opened in April 1879, it flopped and eventually fell into disuse. It was restored in 1998. 

We went to a gastropub for dinner where I had a nice burger and cheese platter. Apparently I was too busy eating to photograph them for postery but trust me, pretty good! And then we went home and watched World War Z. Also pretty good!

Next stop - Bath!

No comments: