Monday, June 30, 2014

Movie review - Giraffada

For the 2014 Munich Filmfest, I saw Giraffada. For the synopsis, please watch the trailer!


I'm not sure how much I can say without giving too much away, except I really enjoyed it although I felt extremely confused about how I was feeling once the film finished. I highly recommend this to people - despite the setting there's very little violence. I found it quite thought provoking on how a warzone (whether you wish to define it like that) affects the daily lives who literally have nothing to do with the conflict - kids and animals.

As a bonus since I was watching this at the German premiere, the director (Rani Massalha - this was his debut!) was present and taking questions. He revealed that the child lead is actually a relative of his and he was therefore able to get an excellent performance from him by using the familial privileges of threatening him. It worked - the kid was excellent.

Not a perfect film, but an excellent debut. You'll have to watch it for yourselves to see the things that I didn't like (you'll probably figure them out).
8/10

No comments: