Monday, March 21, 2011

Eating Bavarian Food

One of the great puzzles of life is how I moved to Bavaria and somehow managed to drop a clothes size. Juliane told her parents and it was jointly decided that I needed to be fattened up. And so, I spent this past weekend in Juliane's home village and in Regensburg where she went to uni as an undergrad, smack bang in the Bavarian heartland. Basically I spent this past weekend sight-eating, with a bit of sight seeing :D

Pooey kept asking me to eat dampfnudel and Juliane said she knew exactly where I could get the best dampfnudel, Uli!


 Take a close look, it's the Original Bayerischer Dampfnudeln place!

And the walls were duly decorated with Bavarian things (photos of politicians, flags, fuβballspielers, proverbs...). The vaulting indicates that Uli is situated in what used to be the chapel for an old palace. 

I can't remember what this drink was called but it was an awesome combination of apple, pear, and I think redcurrant juice with mineral water. Hausschorle?

We ordered some Wurst mit Sauerkraut und Reiberkuchen

Which was then followed up by the Dampfnudel!
It was doughy, vanilla custardy goodness and led me and Juliane to institute the *Can't talk, eating* rule. 


Another place we visited but didn't get to eat in was the Historische Wurstkueche. As the name implies (and which Hero Thomas found absolutely hilarious), this place is a historical wurst kitchen.


The tiny and OLD building!

Oh look, the kitchen is historic and the staff dressed to match!


I'll come back to eat here when I return to Regensburg in the Summer :D. 

No comments: