Friday, March 11, 2011

Paper dress model.

One of the first things I did when I moved to Germany was, believe it or not, was agree to pose as a model for an artist. One of the girls in the lab had read about Elvira Rodriguez Puerto's call for models for her project - Singles on Tour Bachelor Party (Novias en Pergamino), in which she was going to dress 1010 women in wedding dresses made from paper. It seemed interesting and harmless enough - plus we'd get a copy of the photos she'd take of us! 

On a chilly and snowstorming Tuesday in December, Bettina and I went to Elvira's studio near the Ostbahnhof to be photographed. It was an experience. A before photo was taken of us and if I recall correctly, Elvira took a quick look at us and deciding how we were going to be *dressed*. We would then proceed to the photography room, strip down to our undies, and then Elvira and an assistant would garb us up. Other than a slight mishap where my paper dress would move to the side and my undies would show necessitating the construction of a paper miniskirt, I had a pretty good and easy time! 

Elvira finally had the grand opening of the exhibition this week and so we headed over to check it out!

Some of the pics

Some more pics

The opening was quite crowded!

With the artist, Elvira in her own paper dress!

Juliane with her photo

Patri with her action shot

Bettina (central photo) said she felt uncomfortable during the shoot because she was constantly worried that her headpiece would fall off. Can't tell that from the final pic!

And here I am with mine!

Is it art or just a crazy idea? I don't know. What I particularly liked was the different effects brought about by the use of paper and how it could be made to look so much like different fabrics. Personally I don't think art can be judged by its contemporaries unless it's something so outstanding you can't deny its genius. Would I do it again? Definitely - I going to get the catalogue to remember! Also, I can now add 'model' to my CV :P

No comments: