Sunday, March 20, 2011

Im Deutschkurs

I had just over a month between when I decided to accept the job offer to when I actually arrived in Munich. During that time, I did attempt to learn the language and took 8 hours of lessons with the Goethe Institute with my awesome tutor, Carolin. Awesome as she was and hardcore as we went, 8 hours was surprisingly not enough to give me fluency :P. Anyway, after months of promises from my Institute that I could take lessons with the in-house course and finding myself imprisoned where the nurses couldn't speak English, I finally cracked the shits and enrolled at the Deutschakademie to finally learn how to communicate properly in the language of this country. 


And so now four days a week, after a whole day of work, I am spending three hours learning German with fellow non-German speaking Riccardo, Ivan, Pawan, Eleonora, Ruben, Jing, Dana, Eva und unsere Lehrerin Stephanie. It is really tiring but is it working? Keine Ahnung but I think my main problem is the lack of time to go over the Vokabular and learn the grammar rules because people at work are beginning to speak to me in German and I'm usually pretty good at guessing what they're saying even if I can't reply in Germs. Also, it's nice to spend time with people with different accents all asking how Germany could have acquired such a reputation for being logical when they're using a language that has three genders (funny, I thought only two existed!) and many exceptions to their many rules. 

No comments: