Friday, March 04, 2011

Shopping. Or not.

Today I'm going to talk about shopping in Munich. 


For the most part, shops are closed on Sundays in Muenchen. As you can imagine, I was pretty shocked to discover this fact. When I asked people about it, I was told, "It's the law." My reply? "Yeah, it was the law in Australia as well. AND WE CHANGED IT!!!" Turns out Germany is a pretty religious country and Bavaria/Munich in particular is the real Catholic Heartland of the nation. The current pope (Benedict XVI aka Joseph Ratzinger) is Bavarian after all. At first, I was DAMN PISSED OFF!!! What was I going to do on Sundays in Munich? Other than work or go do touristy things? 


But you know what? It turns out it was a blessing in disguise! Considering the (significant) pay cut I took by agreeing to come here - no thanks to those hefty German taxes - while I'm not exactly saving a lot of money, I'm sure not spending as much as I probably could. Because I only have Saturday to buy my groceries, I can't spend time in Zara or H&M doing some impulse buying. Throw in the fact that stores that I am known to frequent and walk out with something I didn't really need (e.g. Primmy in London or NineWest Melbourne) aren't in Munchen, while I'm not exactly breaking new fashion ground, I'm staying moderately financially secure. 


We'll see how long this goes for. If I keep losing weight at the current rate (discovered I'd dropped a size when I got to London) I'll need new clothes if the warmer months ever arrive! 

No comments: