Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Bus race

So! I don't know if people have noticed but I tend to not write that much about work. This is because work is largely not interesting. Everyday has pretty much the same way about it. I get up and do my morning ablutions, catch the u-bahn to the bus stop, catch the bus to work, work, then do everything in reverse. Every now and then, work throws in something different, e.g. going into the animal facility or being able to do my own experiments (as opposed to palming them off onto my technician). But today! Something special happened. Or at least, something different.


This being Germany, public transport usually runs like clockwork. Pooey marvelled that the trains would pull in by the minute, on the minute. Likewise, buses have a bit more error in them but they're also fairly reliable (imo). In peak hours the bus comes every 10 minutes with every other bus being a special express Betriebsfahrt from the u-bahn to work. Oddly enough, the normal bus and the express both seem to take approx. 10 minutes to get to work *shrug*  


Anyway, when I turned up today at the u-bahn, I was met with a larger than usual crowd of people waiting for the bus. I wondered what was going on but then I figured it out - apparently one bus DID NOT TURN UP!!! :O And then the most shocking of things happened - TWO BUSES turned up at the same time! My position in the crowd meant I was closer to the Betriebsfarht but it was sitting behind the normal bus and thus have our time dictated by that one...or WOULD IT?!


What followed was one of the most exciting 10 minutes of my life, ha ha snort, as the Betriebsfahrt battled the normal bus for supremacy and position in the bus lane. There were moments when they appeared to be racing side by side, trying to overtake before reaching a wall of stopped traffic, each trying to edge the other to hit stops. Eventually, we, the Betriebsfahrt made it there first! Our victory was short lived as the normal bus pulled in seconds later before I was even able to disembark. Oh well. And then the rest of the day was boring. 

No comments: