Friday, October 14, 2011

In Rundon with Pooey (and others) - Day 3

The Asian food binge in London continued when we decided to have yum cha. Pooey was shocked SHOCKED!!! when I told her the story of the blank faces in response to my question as to where I could have it Munich so she and Smee decided to include me in their search for the best yummers in London.


Poo and Smee peruse the menu

They were finally satisfied by what we'd settled on

I SO HAPPY WITH ALL MY FOOD!!!


Unfortunately, the happiness didn't last so long. While all the food was *right* on the surface, the more we ate, the more we realised it was kinda sub-Melb standards. I was particularly disappointed by the xiao long baos which had almost no fluid inside! :O  


Anyway, after the disappointment, Smee went off to look for Thai basil so he could make pho while me and Poo continued our shopping odyssey. First stop was Escapade Costume Shop in Camden where I bought a costume for an upcoming Halloween party and where we saw this amusing sign:


Because we were so highly amused by the costumes for sale and decided to make our time in the long queue worth it, me and Poo decided to try on a few costumes. They ranged from the hilarious to the horrifying. Why are female costumes so slutty? Almost all the outfits had skirts that ended just after my ass, low necklines or both. Also, it was annoying to discover that the Camden Town tube stop allows passengers out but not back in. People visiting the area might want to be aware of this.    


Next, we went to Oxford St. and went nuts, as outlined in this entry. As big sis and a hater of European Winters herself, Pooey is especially concerned about the likelihood of my freezing in the snowy Munich Winter which resulted in us first hitting Uniqlo and Marks & Spencers before committing shopping suicide by going to Primark last on a Sunday afternoon just before 6pm. At several points, one of those announcements that goes *This store will shut in X minutes* was broadcast over the store. At the first one, Pooey said, "Just ignore it" and sure enough EVERYONE in the store pretty much ignored it! We eventually managed to leave the store as the 5 minute message was broadcast.


From here, we actually then went to Embankment. Why? It turned out Smee was unable to find Thai basil in Chinatown and he went home and phoned around different groceries to see who was stocking them on a Sunday night. Having located a shop in Hackney, he decided to borrow a car and drive there to get it. We also bought some noodles, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, and a six pack of soy milk which I was taking back with me to Munich.


And then we had home made Pho!

NOM NOM NOM

Pooey looking mighty happy

More happy faces!

Smee slaved over it all day so I guess his smile cracking abilities were less than ours.


Close up with all the herbs and chili and hoisin sauce!

And then after this, I actually passed out on the sofa and vaguely recall Poo and Smee turning off the TV and lights. 

9 comments:

SuBoo said...

Smee is hardcore and crap that's a big kitchen! Or maybe HK sizes are getting to me...

Lynnie said...

I was gonna make the comment that that's an awesome kitchen too!!! I dream about a bigger kitchen to mess up.....lol....

SuBoo said...

My kitchenette is teeny tiny... boohooooooo. AND they don't really do ovens over here in HK. Even in proper non-kitchenette kitchens. What is up with that...

mallymoodle said...

It's a pretty roomy kitchen! When I'm cooking in my kitchen (which is pretty big by Munich standards but still smaller than Poo & Smee's), I really miss our Melb one :(

No oven in HK? You don't need one - you can go out and BUY your own roast pork!

SuBoo said...

Sometimes you wanna just roast your own chicken or BAKE something... you would loooove the shops on the street I'm on.. it's all kitchenware. Lots of cute moulds for baking and whisks and knives and bowls... the list goes on and on!

mallymoodle said...

Huh, what's the point in selling bakeware if no one has an oven?!

I do love my kitchen though - when the agent asked me what I liked best about the apartment during the showing, I was *THE KITCHEN!!!*

SuBoo said...

Well rich ppl have bigger kitchens. And ovens. I wanna be a rich person!

Pooey said...

Yep, Smee is hardcore. He didn't want to make the pho unless there was basil.

Ok. It's my kitchen so I will clarify a few things.

The photo makes it look bigger than what it really is. What is not obvious is that kitchen is part of an open plan lounge which itself has it's disadvantages.

That being said, it is a very big kitchen by London standards and we always get comments about it. :D

Lynnie - Your kitchen is about the same size (maybe only slightly smaller) just a different configuration!

Moo - Each time I see our kitchen at home, I think 'omg, it's massive'

Suboo - I love ovens too! It's a lazy way to cook.

mallymoodle said...

I had no problem sleeping in an open plan lounge with the smell of cooking wafting through my pjs!