Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let there be Light! (sorta)

One of the things that continues to mystify me about Germany is the apartment situation. When Germans leave their apartments, they tend to take fittings that would not have occurred to me to remove, e.g. the Kitchen. This can also be extended to the light fittings. As a result of the former tenant taking their lights with them, I have been living in a room for the last 5 months with two lamps or candles for light and three wires hanging out of my ceiling. The long European Summer sunlight hours mean the lack of an overall lighting situation hasn't really bothered me, but things are different now that I'm waking in darkness and arriving home in semi-darkness. 


The sound rules in our block of apartments means we're not to make a great deal of noise after 7pm mean that any light fixture putting would be done on weekends and I'm not great at DIY and I'll be the first to say I should not be handed a drill and told to make a hole in the ceiling. So finally on a weekend when Fabi and I were both in Munich and both free (!) we decided to put a light up in my room. After a bit of drilling, that's when we discovered a metal plate in the ceiling. And so we instead put a hook into the hole and hope that will be strong enough to hold up a light. But we have to wait a bit to make sure the glue is set enough to support a hook and a light hanging from it. 


So maybe I'll have light by December!

No comments: