Thursday, October 13, 2011

In Rundon with Pooey (and others) - Day 2

On day 2 in Rundon, me and Pooey got up to achieve what was one aim of my visit - finding her a wedding dress. For this purpose, despite the late night the day before, we got up early and made it to a bridal shop in Angel where J joined us for champagne at 10am. 


To be honest, I've never really given much thought to what kind of dress Pooey should wear. She already has an idea of what she likes and she's got a pretty good body so most cuts suit her and we both know that white white doesn't suit Asian complexions. This meant I wasn't required to stand around and say *yes, no, no, YES YES!!!!* and instead sat back drinking my champagne, and fool around with various wedding paraphernalia.


Yes, this does mean wearing a veil. Pooey attendant found it hilarious and she was so nice, she offered to get a veil for J to wear as well so she wouldn't feel left out. 

Another girl was there trying on dresses. 
I really wanted to tell her that the things she was choosing didn't suit her. She's in the background. 


Afterwards we headed out towards Soho for our afternoon tea at Soho's Secret Tea Rooms.   

Along the way, me and J got tempted by (lots of) cakes at L'Eto Caffe and we bought a passionfruit meringue. The waitress was a real bitch and we're never going back there.

Pooey's already blogged her entry (wtf, she's posting faster than me?!) but the Secret Tea Room location was the top room of a dingy pub and you had to walk through the bar to access it. The room itself is quite small and cute but also a little dingy. 


A sad and empty tea service

Services that are now full and happy! (And so was I!)
Anyway, I'd just like to reiterate Pooey's assessment that it was pretty average. The most notable aspect was probably the sheer magnitude of cake we received. Or it could simply be because there were five of us present - SEM and Leesh also attended - and some of us may not have pulled our weight in cake! Not me though.


We then went our separate ways and Pooey and I walked through Chinatown to get to the Shaftesbury Theatre to watch Rock of Ages.


Because I was still in a bridal mood, we couldn't resist taking this photo at a photography studio that does cheesy wedding photos. 

The view of the stage from our seats.

Some of the cast performing Don't Stop Believin'


If you like 80s rock (Journey, Bon Jovi, Mr. Big, Pat Benatar etc), you will enjoy this! I will confess to singing along with some of the songs but not as much as the woman sitting next to me REALLY enjoyed it and sang along with ALL the songs and bounced around in chair while doing so. But perhaps the best thing about the musical is that it really doesn't take itself seriously - characters often break the fourth wall and speak directly to the audience and at one point, they even made jokes about the fact they were in a "musical with poop jokes and White Snake Songs". In fact, here's a fun promotional video featuring cast members!


However, I must mention that Eye of the Tiger does not feature in this musical.

We then went home where Smee made curry chicken and roti for dinner and where we had PARTY PIES as an entree!

It's really funny what you miss when you can't have them. These sure hit the spot and then Pooey packed some into plastic boxes for me to take them back the Muenchen.

No comments: