Monday, October 03, 2011

Things I learned during Oktoberfest.

1. My limit is 2L of beer at the rate of 1L per hour - otherwise it gets too warm. On one hand, I feel like I could and should do better - it's the Asian in me! On the other hand, Oktoberfest beer is around 7% alcohol so 2L is like....2 bottles of wine. 


2. Be friendly to your waitress and tip her well. If beer is €8.90, you should be paying her €10, you'll get served faster that way. Also, she might be able to get you into a tent next year.


3. The word Schlampendirndl - literally, slut dirndl. It is MUCH more fun when you're in tracht but a traditional dirndl is meant to go to your ankles although knee-length is acceptable. Thigh high, or worse - ass high, and you'll have ppl whispering or even yelling *schlampendirndl*!


Also going to a costume shop and buying an *oktoberfest outfit* really makes you look like a Schlampe. 


4. The word Fahne - when you drink too much alcohol and you emanate the smell of booze. It actually really amuses me that Germans have a word for this!

5. The main section of the Hofbrau tent does not take reservations on the weekend. This makes it full of tourists on the weekends. They are probably either Italians or Australians. Eleonora often had her head in her hands when the Italian anthem was sung (quite often). 


7. A half roast chicken IS a great thing to eat! But the Entenbraterei (roast duck restaurant/tent) serves some pretty damn good half ducks. I'm gonna try and eat one of those next year! 


8. On that note, there is more to Oktoberfest than just the main beer halls. When Amy and Rachi asked me what it's like, I said, "It's a bit like the Easter Show." So go out and eat the carnival food (when she came back, Amy said, "I ate fairy floss today!") and ride the rides. The jury is out as to whether it's better to ride before or after booze.  


And finally...Oktoberfest is sure damn fun with a bunch of friends. Looking forward to doing it again (maybe) next year! :D


P.S. People using their iPad to take photos/videos look like absolute morons. They're waving around something which is about A4 size (often because it's in a case). I pointed out some people doing this to Ruben and he snorted and said they were 1. Idiots because you wouldn't want to take something like that into the chaos that is a biertent and 2. Showing off. I really wish I took a photo of it cos it seriously looked stupid. 

No comments: