Thursday, January 12, 2012

The British Store

After the excitement of visiting the American store, I decided to visit somewhere I was planning on going for a while - the British store. Hopefully I could get some fruit pastilles there!

First of all, I didn't take any photos of the store itself but it was quite *British* looking with dark wood panelling, an entire wall full of tea paraphernalia, and liberal usage of the Union Jack as decorations. For sale were tins of tea, canned spaghetti and baked beans, as well as lots of condiments such as chutney, HP sauce and Marmite. Despite being British, I was amused to see that the store sold Vegemite  (which I did not purchase). I perused the shelves but did not find fruit pastilles and the shop guy told me they were on order. Oh well, but he did comment on what I had chosen to buy (insert UK accent here), "So, pies and crisps!"

Yes, there was a freezer that had haggis and also pies that had minced beef, as opposed to chunks. I promptly took them home to test out!

I've never heard of this brand before in my life. Nor has Pooey.
Also, ignore the price tag. It was not that cheap.

My impression upon removing one from the box what that I had been seriously ripped off. The pie was quite small in height with white pastry. After 30 mins in the oven however, it had turned a lovely golden colour and the pastry had puffed up admirably. 

Cutting the pie open, well it sorta lived up to the mince labelling - I mean, it had mince in it but I kinda wished there was was more meat. No wonder the price (in quid) was so low. The gravy tasted alright though!

So as I enjoyed my pie, I added it to my list of possible places to go and nab stuff if just to stave off various cravings but I don't think it's completely obliterated the need to go pick up victuals from London or begging people to ship over Twisties.  

2 comments:

The Pom said...

I have never seen that brand of pies before, and I am a Pom. Given my experiences with purchased pies, you were very brave, or reckless.

mallymoodle said...

Bravely reckless?