Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stories from the Salon - Ticro

I have not had my hair cut since I left Melbs THIRTEEN months ago! This is due to a number of reasons, primarily to having not much time, wondering where I was going to find an Asian hairdresser in a city without Asian districts, and also being told that I wouldn't be able to find a hairdresser who could speak English. Apparently, it's not a very highly educated profession *shrug*. It wasn't much of a problem because I came here with shoulder-grazing hair but 13 months later, it was a significant distance down my back...well, a friend had described Medusa as having more manageable locks than myself. Vacuuming it was also a bitch.

Despite many people telling me they liked how I looked with my uber-feminine long hair, I had therefore decided to cut my hair back to my shoulders. The question was then where and how it was going to be cut. Knowing I was going to London, I took a page out of Pooey's book again and decided to get Lydia to book me an appointment at Poo's salon, Ticro in Covent Garden/Soho on Saturday afternoon - after lunch but before CNY!!!

Then I had to decide how I was going to cut my hair. Again, I did was Poo did and looked at www.beauty-box.jp and checked out medium length hair. After picking a few that I liked, I showed the photos to my colleagues (and boss) and we agreed - this one would suit me!
Shoulder length, long layers, seems alright! So I saved the URL on my phone and showed it to the hairdresser who agreed. 

Being two days before the big day, the shop was pretty busy and I saw them turn away people. That was expected and the reason why I made a booking. Because they were so busy, I was also not surprised that someone other than a hairdresser washed my hair. What I wasn't expecting was that the person cutting my hair left to go cut someone else's hair while I sat there for a while with drying hair. Another person came along and dried it to curl the ends (such as in the photo) before the cutter came back and did more drying. When I asked if he was going to do more cutting, he said yes and did some but not much. Following putting a bit of serum in my hair, he brushed the ends forward pulled out the mirror to show me the rear and said he was done. I asked him to adjust the mirror and sure enough, there was some layering at the sides that was emphasised since he'd brushed the hair over my shoulders but I said, "No, do it again. You have not put layers into my hair." He seemed confused by my instructions (not great English) so I demonstrated that I wanted layers in the rear as well which he promptly cut until I said stop. 

Needless to say, I walked out not feeling particularly impressed and not liking my haircut. This feeling continued when I met up with Smee for dinner and said I didn't like it. He said it looked alright to him. The real test of course occurs after the first wash, which I did the next day after a swim in a pool. I then went off to Oxford where I told the Devil Childe that I wasn't sure if I liked it but he said it looked alright to him. Now back in Munich, I have decided that I like it after all, so here's what it looks like:

I suppose the moral of the story is that, while I didn't feel particularly pleased with my experience there, I ultimately did get a pretty good haircut. In fact, Asia has been saying that after the shock of seeing me with short hair, she was liking it more and more while watching me give a lab meeting lecture. I'm willing to cut them some slack for the time of year and day that I got served, perhaps it's not like that when they're not run off their feet. Great hair, questionable service - your call. 

3 comments:

Michy said...

Hi, may I ask how much your haircut was? I was looking into Ticro reviews and one of the positives was the price but these reviews were 1-2 years old :S

mallymoodle said...

HI Michy,

It was something like £35 which is pretty good in my estimation.

Anonymous said...

I had a terrible experience in this salon. I booked a haircut for 6:30pm, wait till 6:45 to have it start, a guy start from a wash (maybe an assistant), I would say I was very impressed by his skill. After he finished the wash, he put me back on the waiting, 5 minutes late, an mid-40’s Japanese guy ask me to be seated to have my haircut, he had a few cut (not finished yet), then ask me to move back to the waiting area for ten minutes, I was wondering he was going to wait for the other hairdresser to do the next part (which I was happy to). But it turns go, he ask me to wait just because he need the assistants to dry my hair, two assistants blow dry my hair in turns (it was a very hot day, and there was no AC in the salon), then they moved me from one seat to another. He only spent 10 minutes for my haircut, but had let me waited for 4 times, in total for about half an hour, after all that waiting time, he came to have a trim on my fringe, but he hasn’t finish me, and move to the a new customer. When I asked him to come back and have a little trim on the fringe, he pretends he can’t understand me.
They charged £33 for that unfinished haircut, but made you pay £35.00 to pay by credit card. because minimum charge on credit card is £35.00, so doggy.

If you can avoid this place, don’t even set your foot there.