Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Off to Rundon!

Despite saying just a few weeks ago that I wouldn't go back to London for a while, hey! I'm back in London! The reason for my quick return was basically to celebrate Chinese New Year with people who celebrated Chinese New Year. I think I've previously mentioned that there is no Chinatown in Munich at all (I'm sorry, but I don't count those shops on Rosenheimerstr. as a Chinatown!). And last year, I asked Trung, the Other Asian, where I could go to see some CNY fireworks or lion dancing. Imagine my horror when he said there wasn't any! :O :O :O!!! And then hearing the drums at Paris Chinatown, it made me realise I couldn't go through that again! Anyway, I didn't really do my research - the celebrations in London Chinatown occur the weekend after if CNY falls on a weekday. This year it falls on Monday Jan 23rd but I'd already booked to fly in so as to be with people on CNY Eve. Also, I wanted to get my hair cut by someone who could speak English. Apparently English-speaking hairdressers are thin on ground in German-speaking Munich :D.     


But since I was flying in on a weekend and it was CNY, Lydia met up with me for a pre-haircut lunch. She had been trawling Pooey's blog for ideas of where to eat - handing having friends who are ladies of leisure :P - and settled on Wahaca! It was pretty busy so we got some (non-alcoholic) drinks while waiting and after getting seated, we decided to get the Wahaca selection because it had enough of the things we wanted to eat, and we decided to supplement it with the Potato and Chorizo Quesadilla.


Lydia with the P&C quesadilla. It had more chorizo than the quiche we had at Zumbo's in Sydney but not by much!

Me with the Black Bean tostadas. Refreshing!

Oh noes! I was too busy eating to photograph the (L-R) pork pibil tacos, winter vegetable tacos, and the huitlacoche quesadillas. They were all highly enjoyable. Believe it or not, I really enjoyed the vegetable one! Also in the back there is the lime rice and beans that went with the chicken taquitos. 

I think this was the chicken taquitos. Unfortunately we let this get cold and it wasn't so nice :( But I'll put the blame on us. 


Overall, we two were very happy with our meal. We were afraid that the portions would be small given the price of the menu and it's location. This was not the case and we ended up feeling quite full! But we were both highly amused and somewhat annoyed by our waiter. He was quite hipster looking with his little beard and high ponytail - all that was missing were thick-framed glasses. Anyway, it's normal that a waiter may try to suggest dishes to try but our exchanges literally went something like:
Upon sitting down and reading the menu: "Would you like any bread of guacamole?" Us, "No, that's okay."
After placing our order: "So would like any guacamole with your meal?" Us, "Er, no just what we ordered."
After Lydia asked for a bottle of table water: "Would you instead like to purchase bottled water? It's large enough that you can fill both your glasses." Us, "No, tap water is fine."
What's with all the pushiness? Is he paid by commission or something? It became a bit of in-joke at what he was going to offer us next and then it was kind of annoying how he wasn't coming over when we wanted to pay! 


In any case, annoying waiter aside, a good start to my trip!  

No comments: