Monday, October 09, 2006

The Great Lemon-Poppyseed Shortbread Experiment

Last year, I experimented with macadamia shortbread. Yesterday, I felt like making shortbread again, but instead of using the old tried and true recipe, I decided to fiddle with it again by adding lemon and poppyseeds.

Despite adding the rind of one whole lemon, I found that the lemon flavour wasn't spread evenly throughout the cookies. Some tasted almost lemon-free, the bastards! So I'm thinking there are a few ways to solve this conundrum.

1. Stir in the rind when I'm creaming the sugar into the butter
2. Use more lemon rind
3. Use more lemon essence.

But in other news, one tablespoon of poppyseeds seem to be enough!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to add some of the lemon juice and cream it with your butter - this will make it taste more lemony!

mallymoodle said...

But how much lemon juice? I'm using a recipe that has 225g butter to 1/2 cup of caster sugar and 2 3/4 cups (total) of rice and plain flour?