Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Presenting perfection

Many people who know this find this tidbit hard to believe, but I really hate public speaking.

I know, I know. How can someone who's as happy to talk about any topic at all dislike public speaking?

Well, it's not so much the talking in public, it's the presentation of something to an audience filled with peers who are critically analysing every word I utter.

Today I had to present a talk about my project to my lab today, and while the crowd wasn't hostile, I couldn't help but compare my presentation today to the last presentation I made. That was my Honours defence almost a year ago. A presentation that has since gone into the annals of legendary presentations. People, some who weren't present at my defence, tell me that they hear I'm a brilliant public speaker whenever I voice my concerns that my public speaking skills leave much to be desired. While today wasn't terrible, I think I'll need every minute of this week to polish it up before presenting it to the big hoo-ha Neuro group next Tuesday

*fingers crossed*

No comments: