Monday, October 02, 2006

Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3)

I've always been aware that bicarb is a somewhat wonderful chemical. I have regularly used it at home for cooking cakes and biscuits, and also as a moisture/odour absorber in the kitchen. I am also aware that some people use it as a toothpaste and antacid, although I am not one of those people. Lately however, my uses for bicarb have become more numerous. After advising Marlene to use bicarb to get rid of the mouldy smell in her closet, I began to notice that the water wasn't draining properly out of out shower, and remembering my advice to her as well as my work in the Laboratory of Death, I poured some of the stuff down the drain followed by lashings of hot water and ta-da! it started draining again.

Yesterday though took my love of bicarb to another level. I was cleaning out the shower with my trusty Domestos. I stand by my assessment that that is the best general cleaner on the market. One of the problems though is that while it cleans beautifully, the viscosity of the solution means that you can often end up with areas on the cubicle glass that's doesn't end up as clean as the original pouring point. I was contemplated this problem while I was pouring more bicarb around the drain when I suddenly got the bright idea to use the bicarb to clean the glass.
Standing up, I poured an amount of powder into my hand and then scrubbed it straight onto the glass. Imagine my joy when the powder washed off and the glass was almost beautifully clear! And the realisation that I had a cleaner that wouldn't get me high on fumes!!!

So bicarb, I tip my hat to you as a great all round chemical.

Ok, that satisfied my geeky desires for the week.

No comments: