Saturday, October 11, 2008

Painting of the Week - Madonna of the Pomegranate, Botticelli

Botticelli, Madonna of the Pomegranate c.1487, Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence, Italy
(Source)

Botticelli is a troublesome artist for me. When I was younger, I appreciated the (relative) simplicity of his linear style - he doesn't play too much with thin
gs like perspective nor is there religious iconography/symbolism overload. This means that this his paintings are easy to *read* and his early works, particularly the mythological paintings such as Birth of Venus have a serenity to them. At the same time, however, some of his works repulse me, particularly his later paintings which almost seem grotesque, use of darker colours, and some of his figures start looking distorted, most noticeably in the Madonna del Padiglione where her head is too big.

Madonna of the Pomegranate is a mid-style painting, still very pretty, simple, and serene but the sad faces of the figures mean it's not all happy joy. This is due to the use of the pomegranate which iconographically represents the Passion. But I didn't choose this painting to have a discussion on religion. I chose it because I've always thought that Paolo Maldini as a toddler looks like he belongs in a Botticelli painting!

Baby Paolo. What do you think?

2 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

"It looks nice"

lol!

But you're right, baby Paolo does look cherub-like! :D

Stephanie said...

I like it Callie! And he definitely looks like he could be in that painting. He's very angelic in that pic, and most of his pics!